2016 is officially the year of video for bloggers! If you haven’t noticed that almost every blogger has been attempting some form of video this year, you’re either hiding under a rock or have selective viewing.
Just one scroll through your Facebook or Instagram will prove just how powerful video seems to be these days.
As a blogger, video can seem particularly intimidating. It feels like yesterday that the goal for bloggers was to master photography, and now suddenly we have to capture everything we create on video? Talk about hard work!
I’m not going to refute the fact that it’s a lot of work, but it is certainly attainable. One day last year I suddenly decided to hit record and the rest is history. I don’t have a fancy kitchen or an array of video equipment. I just wanted a new medium to connect with my audience and add value to my brand.
WATCH HERE TO SEE HOW I CREATE MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS FOR THE HEALTHY MAVEN.
1. It allows you to connect with your audience more closely – have you ever wanted to jump out from behind the screen and say “HEY IT’S MEEEEE!!!” <–just me? I found that sometimes blogging felt like I was hiding behind a computer screen and a lot of what I was trying to say (and my somewhat sarcastic nature) was lost in translation. Being able to record myself allowed me to open up with my audience and connect with them in a way I never had before.
2. It gives readers options on how to engage with your content – something I’ve learned over the years is that we all consume media in different ways. Most of my readers are typical blog readers and like big images and the occasional written word, but there’s an entire sub-culture of video consumers out there who prefer to get their information from video. Don’t rule out an entire market because it’s something that makes you uncomfortable.
3. It increases engagement and reach on social media – Want to know how to get better reach on Facebook? Share a video! Facebook (along with other social media platforms) know how much we enjoy video so they give FB points to pages that share video. Don’t feel like you need to create video exclusively for YouTube. Sharing video on FB and IG can be hugely advantageous for increasing your reach and engagement!
4. It’s important to keep up with where the blogosphere is moving – whether you like it or not, the blogosphere is embracing video. In the same way that blogs without pictures became obsolete (think back to 2007!), eventually blogs without video won’t be able to compete with the big dogs. It’s unfortunate but it’s the truth.
5. It adds value to brands – just like how bloggers want to jump on the video trend, brands are looking to do the same. Having the option of offering brands a video partnership makes you more valuable to brands, both as a collaborating and financially for you.
New Bloggers – Think about whether or not you’d like to add video to your blog. Explain to us your reasoning for adding it or not, and outline what kind of videos you’d like to create. Will they be short? Will they be vlog style? Will we see your face? Will we just see your hands? Get creative and share the results with us in the TBP Community.
Experienced Bloggers – If you’re making video already, share with us how you’re doing it! If not, try filming a simple video and see how it goes. Remember, it takes a helluva lot of practice to get good at something so you may as well start today. Share your video with us on the TBP Community if you’re feeling up to it 😉